Provided by: Cassandra Thorne (RMT)
We offer two booking options:
- Initial Lymphedema Treatment or Prevention (MLD)
- Follow Up and/or Prevention Lymphedema Treatment
Manual Lymphatic Drainage (MLD) is a pain free type of massage where the therapist uses gentle pressure that is slow and relaxing.
What you can expect with a MLD Treatment:
- Remove waste material from areas of damage/injury
- Reduce tightness and discomfort from areas of swelling
- Help with healing by promoting white blood cell circulation
- Promote relaxation and general well being
MLD is a type of massage that can be used to specifically focus on reducing swelling caused by lymphedema. Lymphedema is commonly caused by the removal of, or damage to, your lymph vessels or nodes. In situations like this, a blockage can occur in the lymphatic system, which is a part of your immune system. The goal of MLD is to move fluid from the swollen area back into circulation by promoting drainage to a place where the lymphatic system is working properly.
Although lymphedema has no cure, MLD does have benefits that help to decrease the impact of lymphedema on an individual’s daily life.
The common goals of MLD with lymphedema are:
- Increase functional movement
- Decrease swelling
- Preventing infection
- Maintain skin and tissue health